Friday, June 18, 2010

In Memory of an Anonymous Cat

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do. - Edward Everett Hale

I saw a cat get hit by a car today. My heart stopped when I saw it happen, and I pulled over as fast as I could. It lay there on the road, thrashing in pain. As I reached down to grab it, I could see the life leaving its small body. By the time I set it down again on the side of the road, it was gone. The poor cat was no more than a year old. It was there one moment and gone the next. Life is like that I suppose, but it still breaks my heart to see it happen.

Anyone who has ever had a pet knows that each animal has its own unique personality, just like each person. One of the great joys of having a pet is getting to know them for who they are, not who you want them to be. I don't know if that cat had an owner, but it was a unique individual nonetheless. And if I can do nothing more than honor it by picking it up and moving it to a grassy spot, smooth its fur, and say a prayer for it - then that's what I'll do. Rest in peace kitty.

Vicki Stringfellow Cook

11 comments:

  1. Well said. *sniff* Rest in peace, little kitty. Our friend Pepi will meet you at da Rainbow Bridge with his pram and and everlasting supply of nip. XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, what an awful experience to happen to you! I live in fear of seeing a cat or dog be hit by a car and especially be left in pain before it died, especially now when cats are all over the place. How good of you to show it love and take care of its remains. I found a young kitten that had been hit last week, looked for a home but brought him home to bury. I actually gave him a name and sketched his portrait as if I'd rescued him, http://portraitsofanimals.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/mr-mistoffelees-the-forever-kitten/.

    I hope the memory of what you saw is replaced by gentler images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw. Rest in peace, little kitty. You are a special person for pulling over and trying to help, and at least see that he is moved into a nice spot. I'm glad you were there with him and the poor baby didn't have to go alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My eyes are leaking while I type this. Thank you for caring enough to move the kitty out of traffic. You now have a guardian angel kitty watching over you from over the rainbow bridge.

    Rest in peace, poor little kitty. Sorry you had to meet such a sad ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so horrible to see something like that happen. Thank you for being a kind soul and moving the kitty to the soft grass. It was lucky to have you there when its short life ended. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for caring. I am always reminded that there are still good people in the world when I read about my anipals and their parents. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww sweetie. That is so hearttbreaking. We has leaky eyes here. So very kind of you to stop and try to help. Bless you for doing dat. You are one very caring ooman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bunny, I'm sorry. Our mummy couldn't read this post, it just makes her heart hurt so much for the poor little angel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's so sad when we see an animal that is hurt or suffering. the cat was blessed that it's last moments were of kindness from you. so many people wouldn't even have stopped. hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely sad, but beautiful thing to write. Ur remark abt each animal being a unique individual means so much to my peeps and I b/c we believe very strongly in this. My peeps always respect us for who we are. I'm so sorry this little kitty had to die, but he's very lucky he was able to spend his last moments with someone like u. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so hard to read somehing like this. I'd like to think that the driver didn't know he/she hit the cat or is feeling badly about it. If it was a homeless kitty, it had a Momma for a couple of minutes at least. RIP little kitteh. (If you're anything like the woman, you came home and heaped tons of love on your kitties.)

    ReplyDelete