Monday, March 28, 2011
Pet Poison Prevention Month
You may already be aware that March is Pet Poison Prevention Month. Like me, you may have seen lots of blog posts, facebook notes, and tweets about it. You may have read them and shared or re-tweeted them, each time thinking "yes, I already know this stuff".
That was me too until this past Sunday. Then I read a facebook update that caused my heart to sink. My oldest niece Jade posted that her dog Charlie grabbed a bottle of ibuprofen off the counter and ingested approximately 20 tablets. That's a level of toxicity that can cause renal failure.
Now Jade is not some careless kid. She is a responsible pet parent who takes good care of her animals. But she accidentally left the bottle where Charlie could reach it, and Charlie, being a puppy who loves to chew, took advantage of the situation.
Now Charlie is at the veterinary hospital, and we are anxiously waiting to hear if there is kidney damage.
So please, I implore you - read this post. Then check to make sure your medications, cleaning products, chemicals, plants, and even certain foods are out of reach. And say a prayer for Charlie.