This week is American Humane Association's Be Kind to Animals Week. This event has been celebrated every year since 1915. During this annual tradition, American Humane commemorates the role animals play in our lives, promotes ways to treat animals more humanely, and encourages others to do the same.
Be Kind to Animals Week is celebrated with shelter information and resources, special merchandise, and an annual Be Kind to Animals Kids Contest, which celebrates children who go above and beyond to create a better world for animals.
While Be Kind to Animals Week happens only once a year, you can be kind to animals everyday by doing the following:
- Speak out for animals - register to receive action alerts, and be an animal advocate.
- Report animal cruelty - learn the signs of animal cruelty, and let someone know if you see something suspicious.
- Appreciate wildlife - all animals deserve to be treated humanely. Look for ways to coexist with animals, and protect your property humanely.
- Adopt a pet - every year, millions of animals are euthanized in shelters across the country. Help animals receive a second chance by adopting your next pet from a shelter or rescue.
- Take care of your pet - more than half of pet owners see their pets as part of the family. That means providing them with proper care to ensure they live a long and healthy life.
Help celebrate this tradition and encourage others to be kind to animals this week and every week!
Image courtesy of D. Sharon Pruitt