- Melts in Your Mouth: Everyone knows that chocolate causes a rapid heart rate in dogs, among other problems. But not everyone is aware that baking chocolate is especially toxic. While an M&M or two may not do any harm, a dog or cat that snatches a large chunk of baking chocolate may end up in the ER. It is essential to keep all chocolates out of your pet's reach.
- Skip the Candygram: Sugar-free candies and gums often contain large amounts of xylitol, a sweetener that is toxic to pets, especially dogs. If ingested, it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases, liver failure in dogs.
- Restart the Heart: If your dog or cat should ingest large amounts of chocolate, gum or candy, it may go into cardiac arrest. Be prepared by learning the proper methods of CPR for dogs and cats.
- A Rose is Just a Rose: But then again, it may also be something that causes harm to your pet. The aroma of floral arrangements can be enticing, and it only takes a nibble to cause a severe allergic reaction in dogs and cats. Even small amounts could lead to an upset stomach or vomiting, particularly if the plant or flower is toxic. Be extremely cautious of lilies, as these lovely flowers are fatally poisonous to cats.
- To Give or Not to Give: Are you planning to give a new puppy or kitten to a loved one for Valentine's Day? You may want to think again. Mull it over and do your homework - animals are not disposable, nor can they easily be repackaged, re-gifted or returned if the recipient is not pleased.
Wishing you and your furry friend a safe and happy Valentine's Day!
Image via MorgueFile.com