Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Human-Animal Bond Especially Strong in Elderly and Kids

Via Deseret News - Animals and their humans have been comforting and loving each other for ages, the bond nearly magical, say experts who use that connection to help frail or disadvantaged populations.

Wags for Hope in Frederick, Md., boosts literacy by having children read to dogs. Washington-based Pet Partners has registered more than 11,000 people and their pets in 50 states and 13 countries to provide therapy in hospitals, hospice, special education programs, nursing homes and elsewhere.

"People open up," said Phil Arkow, an instructor specializing in animal-assisted therapy for Harcum College in PA and Camden County College in NJ. "Animals have a unique ability to break through the barriers that people put up... You know that when you've seen somebody who hasn't spoken in years suddenly talk to a pet. People have a need to nurture, a need to express compassion, a need to connect with the natural world. Under the right circumstances, animals can do that amazingly well."

The Waltham Book of Human-Animal Interactions presented a study showing that women in nursing homes would rather play with a rabbit for an hour than have time to do whatever they want. A study in Journal of the American Geriatrics Society found pet ownership by the elderly increases activity and ability to handle stress and lowers blood pressure.

Therapy programs often use animals in work with children with disabilities. "An animal doesn't see a disability. It doesn't see that you're having a bad day or coming out of a stressful therapy treatment. It just wants someone to love and pet it. I once had a man in hospice tell me, 'Everyone visiting me looks at me like I'm dying. Your dog looks at me like I'm living.'"

Read full story at http://bit.ly/Sxg8lm
Written by Lois M. Collins
Image via Wags for Hope

3 comments:

  1. 'Everyone visiting me looks at me like I'm dying. Your dog looks at me like I'm living.'"
    When I read this post, I remembered caring for my dad. He had a Chihuahua, who I still care for since he passed. What a quote! Very well written and sensitive blog. Kim Cady
    http://kimcady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my mother lived in personal care I knew that several ladies there had had to give up their cats, so I occasionally took one of mine in the evening--there were two who were ideal--and let them wander around the living room where they watched TV and choose a lady's lap to sleep on. Most of the ladies were in some manner of dementia. They were all about the kitty and not the TV for once! It really perked them up. The place also had a little bichon frise they'd rescued from a neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to spend nearly 3 months in a rehab/nursing home after breaking both shoulders - believe me, the pet visits were a highlight - so many very happy faces everywhere when the therpay dogs and cats arrived. I hadn't thought of visiting rabbits - that would be wonderful because they can easily be cuddled in a lap!

    I want to give back with pet therapy visits!

    ReplyDelete