Monday, October 3, 2011

Barkworld Recap Day 2


One thing I’ve learned in my many years of attending conferences is that I need to pace myself or I will run out of gas before the conference ends. Unfortunately, this time I didn’t do so well.

Since I went out Friday night for the reception at Uptown Pups and then had dinner with some blogger buddies, I slept in the following morning. 

Okay – maybe it wasn’t planned that way. Maybe I woke up, looked at the clock and fell back asleep. But I thought the extra hour of sleep would help get me through the day.

The first session I attended was “Who’s That Doggy in the Window?” presented by Jaime Williams of Beaker and Flask Creative. Jaime discussed the importance of an overall brand experience, understanding what your brand represents, and how to maintain a consistence brand personality. She also presented examples of good and not-so-good online brands. 

The next session was “Social Petworking Part 2: Speed Pitching”. This session gave attendees the opportunity to meet with sponsors and pitch their blog or other social media project. We each met with seven different sponsors using the speed dating format – spending six minutes with each sponsor before moving to the next table.

At the end of the Social Petworking session, I was exhausted. I am an introvert by nature. Introverts are people whose energy tends to expand through reflection and dwindle during interaction, as opposed to extroverts who gain energy by interacting with others. So after the speed dating session, I retreated to the quiet space of my room to write a blog post and regain my energy.

The last session that I attended was “Foursquare 411” presented by Chad Elkins of Engauge. Chad discussed how the attendees can use foursquare and other location-based services to help promote their brand.

The day ended with closing remarks and raffle prizes. There wasn't a flash mob like the previous day, but it was still a great ending to a great conference.

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at Barkworld Expo. I learned a lot about social media and met lots of great pet lovers, and I hope to attend the conference again next year!

Image via Preston Phelps

7 comments:

  1. ok what about those of us that are Introverts AND Extroverts? Yep, that would be ME!

    I left BlogPaws a day early due to Irene and I am embarrassed to say that I was EXHAUSTED for DAYS after!

    Friday afternoon I had to leave a session early to retreat to my room for some much needed introspection and some QUIET! lol. I had become tired of being "on" all of the time.

    Aren't you a Libra like me? That is our way of keeping our "scales balanced" That is a trait of Libra!

    Glad you had a great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great time, im hoping to get to one of these if they ever hold one in my area soon. thanks for shring your experience

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep! I thought so! me too!! That is why we need to "run away" sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMC D is an introvert too. M is somewhere in the middle except for Twitter, where she is an extrovert! Sounds like it was a great conferencce and you also had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like good conference planning would be to schedule in introvert/extrovert activities. The introverts get to retreat to a quiet place to re-energize and the extroverts get together for drinks in the bar. :)

    Thanks for posting about BarkWorld. I was wondering what to expect when I saw the badges appearing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading about your experience there! :)

    ReplyDelete