Click here to watch the video on YouTube.
Cats make great companions, especially for people who admire independence in their pets. According to the American Pet Products Association:
- There are 86.4 million owned cats in the United States
- 39 percent of households own at least one cat
- 52 percent of owners have more than one cat
- The average number is 2.2 owned cats per household
- 21 percent of owned cats were adopted from an animal shelter
Here are the statistics on the number of homeless pets in the shelter system as estimated by the Humane Society of the United States:
- 6 to 8 million cats and dogs enter shelters each year
- 3 to 4 million cats and dogs are adopted from shelters each year
- 2.7 million adoptable cats and dogs are euthanized in shelters each year
- 30 percent of shelter dogs are reclaimed by their owners
- 2 to 5 percent of shelter cats are reclaimed by owners
Adopt a cat from your local shelter! Visit The Shelter Pet Project to find a shelter near you.